Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Friday the 13th rip-off?

Go down

Worst Friday the 13th rip-off? Empty Worst Friday the 13th rip-off?

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th April 17th 2022, 10:46 pm

Well there's good f13 clones such as "The Burning (1981)" or "Sleepaway camp" however there's bad Friday the 13th rip-off films such as "Camp blood (1999)" or "Bloody murder (2000)" which was the worst Friday the 13th clone?
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Worst Friday the 13th rip-off? Empty Re: Worst Friday the 13th rip-off?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie April 18th 2022, 2:50 am

I think I've managed to successfully avoid all the bad ones, lol. This is neither here nor there, but I wouldn't consider 'The Burning' a Friday the 13th clone. It's actually based of the local (for the area) Cropsey Urban Legend, and was actually in production before Friday the 13th was even released, let alone before it became a hit, so the similarities in theme were more coincidence than The Burning trying to grift off Friday's success.

Fun Fact... I once watched a Youtube video where the host did a deep dive into the Cropsey legend, and it turns out that legend may have influenced Friday the 13th way more than anyone realizes. Either that, or it's one of the world's weirdest, coolest coincidences. I can't confirm that 100 percent, but I do trust the source who does his research and tends to know his shit. And yes, I made this post mainly to point that out, lol. It's not everyday somebody drops a 'The Burning' reference.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th April 18th 2022, 9:02 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:I think I've managed to successfully avoid all the bad ones, lol. This is neither here nor there, but I wouldn't consider 'The Burning' a Friday the 13th clone. It's actually based of the local (for the area) Cropsey Urban Legend, and was actually in production before Friday the 13th was even released, let alone before it became a hit, so the similarities in theme were more coincidence than The Burning trying to grift off Friday's success.

Fun Fact... I once watched a Youtube video where the host did a deep dive into the Cropsey legend, and it turns out that legend may have influenced Friday the 13th way more than anyone realizes. Either that, or it's one of the world's weirdest, coolest coincidences. I can't confirm that 100 percent, but I do trust the source who does his research and tends to know his shit. And yes, I made this post mainly to point that out, lol. It's not everyday somebody drops a 'The Burning' reference.
There was a god awful Friday the 13th clone called Kracker jack'D It was stupid even had a worst Jason voorhees clone!
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 April 19th 2022, 11:35 am

My vote goes to Bloody Murder and Bloody Murder 2. They didn't even try to remotely disguise the fact that they were cloning Friday the 13th and the recent F13 fan films were better
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees April 19th 2022, 3:57 pm

@I'm Not a Goalie Who is Cropsey?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie April 19th 2022, 6:59 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:@I'm Not a Goalie Who is Cropsey?

Turns out, he might just be Jason's daddy, lol. Cropsey is an Urban Legend out of New York, so if you're not from the area, there's a good chance you've never heard of it. I only know about it because I'm a total nerd for shit like this. Like most Urban Legends, there's a bunch of differen't variants and versions of the story, spread mostly as campfire stories by kids attending summer camp... (No foreshadowing there at all 😉) In 1977, somebody wrote an article called 'The Cropsey Maniac' which basically compiled as many of the differen't variations of the story as possible. The common details were that the legend always focused on a man named George Cropsey, who was usually a judge or a businessman with a seat on the city council... Basically any position that painted him as a 'respectable' citizen for the time. In every version of the story, Cropsey always loses a child and sometimes even his wife, due to the negligence of a young person... Always either in or near a campsite.

The version of the legend prevalent to our favorite Slasher though, was told by a lady I believe was named Diane... Can't remember her last name. Anyway, in the version of the tale she had heard during camp, Cropsey's son fell out of a boat and drowned in a lake due to the negligence of a camp counselor... Which sent Cropsey into a homicidal rage, where he went on a mass murder spree of the campers and counselors attending his child's camp.... (Sound familiar yet?) The real kicker, is the name of the camp the Diane lady telling the story was attending when she heard the story... Have you guessed yet?... Crystal Lake Camp in Roscoe New York... I'm not bullshitting. There were even vintage postcards once for sale on Amazon for Crystal Lake Camp proving it did indeed once exist. There's a point when the coincidences pile up too high, and you have to start wondering if the creators of Friday the 13th were inspired heavily by this old campfire story that has been around since at least the 60's.

I'm going to try and find the Video I pulled most of this information from, just to prove I'm not pulling it out of my ass. He even has screen shoots of the article, including one with Crystal Lake Camp right there in print. Overall, a good watch, only about a twenty minute investment or so, from a guy who can tell this story a hell of a lot better than I can.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 April 19th 2022, 8:22 pm

Good old Cropsey…..

So for me Camp Slaughter and Memorial Day are the worst F13 clones…… literally blatantly ripping off kills the title sequence a retarded kid drowning and coming back to kill…..
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Jasonvoorhees13th likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th April 20th 2022, 6:05 am

And there's Unmasked: Part 29 what a stupid parody... Of Friday the 13th.. and Camp blood (1999) which had a Guy in a Not even scary Halloween store clown mask... Killing camp counselors with a machete which the killer is a rip off of Jason Voorhees and Pennywise and Sweet tooth from twisted metal.
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees April 21st 2022, 10:31 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Turns out, he might just be Jason's daddy, lol. Cropsey is an Urban Legend out of New York, so if you're not from the area, there's a good chance you've never heard of it. I only know about it because I'm a total nerd for shit like this. Like most Urban Legends, there's a bunch of differen't variants and versions of the story, spread mostly as campfire stories by kids attending summer camp... (No foreshadowing there at all 😉) In 1977, somebody wrote an article called 'The Cropsey Maniac' which basically compiled as many of the differen't variations of the story as possible. The common details were that the legend always focused on a man named George Cropsey, who was usually a judge or a businessman with a seat on the city council... Basically any position that painted him as a 'respectable' citizen for the time. In every version of the story, Cropsey always loses a child and sometimes even his wife, due to the negligence of a young person... Always either in or near a campsite.

The version of the legend prevalent to our favorite Slasher though, was told by a lady I believe was named Diane... Can't remember her last name. Anyway, in the version of the tale she had heard during camp, Cropsey's son fell out of a boat and drowned in a lake due to the negligence of a camp counselor... Which sent Cropsey into a homicidal rage, where he went on a mass murder spree of the campers and counselors attending his child's camp.... (Sound familiar yet?) The real kicker, is the name of the camp the Diane lady telling the story was attending when she heard the story... Have you guessed yet?... Crystal Lake Camp in Roscoe New York... I'm not bullshitting. There were even vintage postcards once for sale on Amazon for Crystal Lake Camp proving it did indeed once exist. There's a point when the coincidences pile up too high, and you have to start wondering if the creators of Friday the 13th were inspired heavily by this old campfire story that has been around since at least the 60's.

I'm going to try and find the Video I pulled most of this information from, just to prove I'm not pulling it out of my ass. He even has screen shoots of the article, including one with Crystal Lake Camp right there in print. Overall, a good watch, only about a twenty minute investment or so, from a guy who can tell this story a hell of a lot better than I can.
Hmmm sounds like a double similiarity or that Jason is his father.

Is this based on a real person or is this all fictional like a Creepypasta?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie April 22nd 2022, 1:10 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Cropsey is pure Urban Legend, and as far as I can tell, there's not even an obscure real-life case that the tale is loosely based off of. My joke about Cropsey being Jason's dad was more based off that I fully believe the original Friday the 13th movie was at least partially inspired by the Cropsey legend. I can dismiss the grieving parent going on a killing spree in the summer camp where their child was killed as a coincidence... Those stories have been around as long as kids have been shipped off to camp during the summer, but once you add the child drowning in a lake... And the person telling that version of the story heard it while attending a real-life Camp Crystal Lake in the New York Area... Well that's the point for me where coincidence starts becoming evidence. If nothing else, it's just a really cool story to share, and makes my hobby of looking into old mysteries and local legends worth while.

I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees April 24th 2022, 7:15 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Cropsey is pure Urban Legend, and as far as I can tell, there's not even an obscure real-life case that the tale is loosely based off of. My joke about Cropsey being Jason's dad was more based off that I fully believe the original Friday the 13th movie was at least partially inspired by the Cropsey legend. I can dismiss the grieving parent going on a killing spree in the summer camp where their child was killed as a coincidence... Those stories have been around as long as kids have been shipped off to camp during the summer, but once you add the child drowning in a lake... And the person telling that version of the story heard it while attending a real-life Camp Crystal Lake in the New York Area... Well that's the point for me where coincidence starts becoming evidence. If nothing else, it's just a really cool story to share, and makes my hobby of looking into old mysteries and local legends worth while.

Interesting!!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum