Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's not the destination, it's the trip

Go down

It's not the destination, it's the trip Empty It's not the destination, it's the trip

Post by ThePunisher July 26th 2022, 7:20 am

Have you ever found yourself working towards a goal, and once you've gotten there, you found it was the people you met along the way that were more enjoyable and rewarding to deal with?

This is a lesson I've really learned this year. I've been working toward my master's degree since January 2020. The degree may be the ultimate reward, but all the really intelligent people I met in the classes along the way, as well as the professors, are what made the whole trip such a special thing. Of course, the hard part is always saying goodbye. Saying goodbye feels like such a kick in the gut, but somehow we find a way to keep going and meet the next group of people.

I learned that lesson during my quest for my bachelor's degree. I met so many good and smart people, it was always hard to say goodbye. I started at a two year, community college, and found friends there. I went to a four year school from there, and I burned out before I could finish my degree. I spent a few years scuffling in low paying, menial jobs before finding the college I would get my bachelor's degree at.

The common denominator was always making new friends and finding good people. I've also met people who really didn't like me and were afraid of me.
I still keep my feet moving forward.

At my job, I've had to say goodbye to people who have retired or quit in the last year. This process is accelerating because people are aging out and not being replaced quickly.

My gym opens at 5AM. I go in at that time so I can swim in the pool and not get much friction from other swimmers about getting a lane. Evenings are when people will fight you for the lane. Over the last 10 years of going in early, I've made friends with a lady who's now in her mid - 80s. We're the last two members of a group we called the Pool Pals. Most of these gym members (and lifeguards) have left now, and now it's me and these older lady.

My friend is going blind with macular degenerative disease, and won't be driving much longer, so another goodbye will be coming. I will be swimming alone then. And of course, I'll still be moving forward and will hopefully meet more good people.

How has YOUR trip through life been? Do you find that you've met people you've really enjoyed being around as you've been going from one place to another? What's it been like for you? Do you sometimes find it hard to say goodbye?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

SonofOdin6039 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

It's not the destination, it's the trip Empty Re: It's not the destination, it's the trip

Post by Jason Voorhees July 26th 2022, 10:35 pm

Oh man!!! Thats alot to take in when reading this...

For me I just work, sleep, and sometimes cosplay.

Nothing really goes on expect me moving out, meeting my roommates, and having customers who love me. 😅
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

It's not the destination, it's the trip Empty Re: It's not the destination, it's the trip

Post by ThePunisher July 27th 2022, 6:50 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:Oh man!!! Thats alot to take in when reading this...

Nothing really goes on expect me moving out, meeting my roommates, and having customers who love me. 😅

I guess my life is filled with turmoil.
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 July 27th 2022, 6:57 pm

Indeed, you are absolutely right. Approaching my 50th year on this planet, I find myself blessed with the family and friends throughout the years. Just last night I had a discussion with my fiance about the legacy I leave behind. I have no children of my own to carry my name, but I will leave behind what I hope are good memories people have of me, even those I don't know. When my father passed away in 2020, I've had his friends tell me how much they miss him and tell me their favorite stories of him. That's what I want to leave behind but for now I focus on what's in front of me. This world is full of pain and tears, so I say it's up to us to try to make it better. Our legacy is the people we've met in our lives and the memories we leave them with. I've lost count of the times I'm working and I think of a funny situation involving an old friend and laugh to myself. My grandmother is 102 years old and can still tell stories of when she was a little girl. I've been married once and divorced and hold no animosity toward my ex. It's not worth it. Live life, my friends. Take a moment to call old friends and chat for a moment. Remember and treasure your best memories. Tell your significant other how much you love them, as well as your family. Enjoy life to the fullest and don't worry about the horizon. And above all, cheers and game on, my friends. Skol
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 28th 2022, 8:32 am

ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:Oh man!!! Thats alot to take in when reading this...

I guess my life is filled with turmoil.

Ofcourse I been through turmoil but they werent that important from broken hearts but losing some of my beloved family that hurt the most because its full on good memories nothing bad.

SonofOdin6039 wrote:Indeed, you are absolutely right. Approaching my 50th year on this planet,  I find myself blessed with the family and friends throughout the years. Just last night I had a discussion with my fiance about the legacy I leave behind. I have no children of my own to carry my name, but I will leave behind what I hope are good memories people have of me, even those I don't know.  When my father passed away in 2020, I've had his friends tell me how much they miss him and tell me their favorite stories of him.  That's what I want to leave behind but for now I focus on what's in front of me.  This world is full of pain and tears, so I say it's up to us to try to make it better.  Our legacy is the people we've met in our lives and the memories we leave them with.  I've lost count of the times I'm working and I think of a funny situation involving an old friend and laugh to myself.  My grandmother is 102 years old and can still tell stories of when she was a little girl. I've been married once and divorced and hold no animosity toward my ex. It's not worth it. Live life, my friends. Take a moment to call old friends and chat for a moment.  Remember and treasure your best memories.  Tell your significant other how much you love them, as well as your family. Enjoy life to the fullest and don't worry about the horizon. And above all, cheers and game on, my friends. Skol
102?? Thats amazing!!!! Overall thats a good thing my man thanks for sharing!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

SonofOdin6039 and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum