Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do we keep going back?

Go down

Why do we keep going back? Empty Why do we keep going back?

Post by ThePunisher February 7th 2023, 6:54 am

Here's something that has always amazed me that fans, including me, do.

Let's say there's a film that was really good, and it gets remade, possibly with a sequel or two thrown in for good measure. We'll say one film was good and the others stank, or some combination of that.

Why do we keep going back for more of the same old tried and true formulas, especially when we know exactly what's coming?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Why do we keep going back? Empty Re: Why do we keep going back?

Post by jasn88cubs February 7th 2023, 3:51 pm

for that comfortable feeling
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by CaldoTheKid February 8th 2023, 9:40 pm

I suppose there's always hope they can turn it around with one film, kind of similar to when a favorite actor declines into making rubbish you just hope one good role comes along.
CaldoTheKid
CaldoTheKid
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie February 9th 2023, 12:05 pm

It's comfortable. It's familiar. It harkens back to a time when things were simpler, or maybe even not so simple, when the world was less confusing and made more sense. When T.V. was fun and going to see a movie felt like an experience... Before anything you could every want to watch has been dumped onto a streaming service, or could be found on the internet with a few clicks of a mouse. With great convivence, came the loss of so many things both physical and sentimental that we didn't even realize what they meant to us until they were gone.

Any good sitcom that has an actual studio audience and lasts more then a few seasons, you'll hear the crowd start laughing before the joke is even told... Because they already know how their favorite character is going to react in this situation and the humor is derived more from what's expected than anything overly creative. Some of my favorite video games are dismissed by others as repetitive, but that doesn't bother me, in fact it rather appeals me. I only get a couple of hours on my console a night and that's my time to relax and unwind... And that familiarity with the games I enjoy, where I know what to expect, and don't have to worry about 'gittin' gud' at is what appeals to me.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a film being formulaic. There's only so many story's you can tell and only so many ways to tell them. The films that seem to get the worst reputations with fans are the ones that try to subvert expectations too much or display open disdain and contempt for the fans that grew up loving them. That being sad, you want to strike the balance between being faithful to the source material while still making the movie feel like it's own thing. The Evil Dead , and Child's Play remakes did a great job at that. Nobody asked for Pedo Freddy Krueger, trailer park Michael Myers (sorry boss), or a shot-for-shot remake of Psycho with vastly inferior actors.

We keep going back for the same reasons we get so upset when we see or feel like our favorite IP's are getting bastardized. If and when a new Friday the 13th movie gets made, we all know what we want to see. Jason with his iconic mask and Machete slaughtering stupid teenagers that wander too close to Crystal Lake... And I won't mind a new director putting their own spin on the story as long as it's respectful to the original, and isn't just flipping me off and telling me this is Modern Hollywood's IP now and you can go fuck yourself if you don't like it.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees February 9th 2023, 3:32 pm

I prefer if they didnt always change up the formula because 80% of the time it's always gonna go bad and that 20% will be a miracle for a film franchise that is so large like F13.

I am a man who loves horror for gore,blood, the kills, and the killers.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 February 9th 2023, 10:31 pm

We come back every time because we hope the ( Filmmakers) will recapture that feeling, those thrills, the shock the horror the terror that made the original or Sequel so good and memorable we (I know I am…) are suckers for that essence of what we loved so much brought back to life on the big screen one more time….. that hope will always be there especially wi the a classic IP I love be it Friday, Halloween, Nightmare etc.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum